A comprehensive business education encompasses more than just theories and frameworks; it equips students with the skills, mindset, and ethical awareness required to succeed in a dynamic global business environment.
At the University of La Verne College of Business, we teach according to these 10 guiding principles:
- Promote a Holistic View of Business
- Businesses succeed when employees from various functions across the organization deploy strategies and tactics from their discipline – from operations, finance, marketing, accounting, human resources, procurement, and sales – to address a shared set of business objectives.
- Emphasize Practical Application
- Bridge the gap between theory and practice by incorporating hands-on experiences into the curriculum. Internships, case studies, real-world projects, and simulations provide practical insights into business operations.
- Encourage Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills
- Teach the ability to evaluate information objectively, make informed decisions, and think strategically to adapt to ever-changing business landscapes.
- Promote Ethical Awareness and Decision-Making
- Ethical behavior is at the core of sustainable business practices. Teach the importance of integrity, social responsibility, accountability, and fair and ethical decision-making.
- Embrace Technological Advancements
- Businesses must leverage or create new technologies (i.e., artificial intelligence, blockchain, digital currency, cloud computing, use of spatial data) to stay competitive. Skills that foster the ability to act fluidly and with ease in ambiguous or changing circumstances are critical.
- Encourage an Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Nurture an entrepreneurial mindset that fosters innovation, creativity, and a willingness to take calculated risks. Cultivating an entrepreneurial spirit builds resilience and adaptability in the face of challenge or adversity.
- Foster a Global Perspective
- Businesses operate in an increasingly interconnected global economy. Promote a global mindset understanding of cultural nuances, international markets, and international business trends. Embrace diversity, inclusivity, and cross-cultural collaboration.
- Cultivate Strong Communication Skills
- Effective communication (written and oral) is fundamental for success in business. Clear, concise, confident communication fosters successful collaborations and enhances the ability to persuasively convey complex ideas.
- Teach Leadership
- Leadership skills such as effective decision-making, team building, and how to use emotional intelligence play a key role in driving business success.
- Promote Continuous Learning
- Education is a lifelong pursuit; new skills are necessary as business evolves. Create a growth mindset that adapts well to an evolving business landscape.
We teach today’s most in-demand business skills, so our graduates can make an immediate impact in every type of business environment, from corporations and the public sector to non-profits and startup ventures.
- Creative problem-solving
- Critical thinking
- Data-driven analysis
- Ethical and socially responsible decision-making
- Entrepreneurial approaches to challenges or opportunities
- Effective, persuasive, and confident delivery of messages or ideas
- Global perspective
- Holistic (integrated) thinking